Layout of Resurrection Way Community

History

St Peter’s

The monks of the Anglican Community of the Resurrection began their ministry in South Africa at the invitation of Bishop Michael Furse of Pretoria in 1903. They soon found the mining camp atmosphere of Johannesburg uncongenial and set off with their goods into the veld south of the city, where they began building in about 1909. The library is thought to be the first building ever erected in the area; it was followed by the priory and the great St Peter’s School.
Soon catechists were being trained there for the Church, followed by deacons and priests; a whole generation of black Anglican leadership passed through St Peter’s when the seminary and the school sat like a castle on a koppie in the south.

When apartheid brought the Group Areas Act and both school and seminary closed, the priory continued and the Diocese (now of Johannesburg) used St Peter’s for overflow offices and a conference and training centre, For many years the redoubtable Victoria Abbey was in charge as St Peter’s helped to give birth to the trade union movement when it could only hold residential meetings in church venues.

When Johannesburg itself broke into four new dioceses in 1990, St Peter’s fell into Christ the King under Bishop Peter Lee. Successive wardens followed including for some years, Horace and Lorraine McBride. The diocesan offices came to St Peter’s and the work of training and conferencing continued, increasingly managed as one entity with St Benedict’s. Along the way it picked up the name ‘St Peter’s Place’ as being more suitable for such a relaxing place to work.

St Peter’s operates under PBO number # 93/00/18/252

St Benedict’s House

The CR Fathers always wanted to add a retreat facility to the cluster of institutions  in Victoria Street and did so after the Second World War when they created St Benedict’s House and had it blessed by Bishop Geoffrey Clayton in 1945. The House remained the responsibility of the Community until 1983 when by mutual agreement it became the responsibility of the Bishop of Johannesburg, who approved a constitution creating an Advisory Committee to assist the Sister-in Charge. From 1957 the Sisters of the Order of the Holy Paraclete from Whitby (UK) both managed the house and offered counselling and spiritual direction in the hospitable Benedictine style.

When 1990 came, it was felt that the House should continue to serve all four dioceses which had formerly made up Johannesburg, as well as its ecumenical and secular clients. While the properties inevitably fell into the care of Christ the King’s trustees, the activities sought to serve a wider constituency. A new constitution was designed to provide for this arrangement but the departure of the CR, followed in 2008 by the OHP, together with various other circumstances including the need to be integrated into one unit with St Peter’s led to the current overhaul of the constitution.

St Benedict’s operates under PBO number # 18/11/13/4804

Ikhaya Lokuthula Convent which was built by the OHP on neighbouring land was donated to the Diocese on their departure. While separate, it provides a home for the Sisters of the Community of the Holy Name who are an integral part of the Resurrection Way project, and some of the space in the convent forms overflow accommodation for St Benedict’s by agreement from time to time.

Login Form